FLIP YOUR STRIP PROGRAM
This program is designed to increase curb appeal, reduce water consumption, and provide customers with a rebate on their water bill. Eligible customers (see requirements below) can receive a discount of $1.50 per square-foot of converted park strip. If you are interested in having your park strip evaluated to see if you are eligible to participate, please read the program requirements and FAQs below, then complete the form at the bottom of the page.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Park strips must be currently landscaped with living, well-maintained lawn. If lawn has been killed or removed prior to a pre-conversion site visit, you are not eligible for this program.
- Applicant must be current on all Murray utility bills.
- Applicants must be a residential customer of Murray City Water.
- Projects should remove all lawn from park strip and replace it with water efficient landscaping.
- Projects that replace lawn with artificial turf are not eligible.
- Rebate checks are made to the property owner only.
- Perennial plants must cover at least 40% of the converted park strip at maturity. Trees will not be considered in density calculations.
- Plants may not exceed 24 inches in height at maturity. Taller plants block views for safety and can interfere with city maintenance.
- Completed projects must cover 3-4 inches of gravel, bark or compost mulch. Ground cover plants can qualify as mulch if 100% plant density is achieved at maturity.
- If landscape fabric is used it must be permeable to water and air.
- Concrete areas do not qualify for a square foot rebate, but pavers, bricks, stone and other permeable materials are permitted.
- All plants must not be planted within 3’ of any water meter to allow for city maintenance.
- Completed park strips must be irrigated with low-volume drip systems. Drip systems must include filter and pressure regulator visible for inspection.
- Drip emitters must be rated at 5 gallons per hour or less.
- Bubblers, micro-spray emitters and soaker hoses are not allowed.
How to Apply:
- Review the eligibility requirements to ensure your project qualifies for a rebate.
- Begin your application. You will be asked to provide photos of your project site and an estimated conversion area in square feet.
- Request a pre-conversion site visit, remember killing or removing your lawn prior to a site visit will make your park strip ineligible for a rebate.
- Complete park strip conversion.
- Request a post-conversion site visit
- There is a maximum of $350.00 rebate per property with current owners.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- 1. Can I apply if I have already started my project?
- No, you must have living lawn in your park strip at the time of the pre-conversion visit. If you have already killed or removed your lawn you will be denied.
- 2. What if my park strip is just full of weeds and the lawn is dead?
- Your park strip needs to have living lawn to be eligible.
- 3. I live in an H.O.A., can I still apply?
- Yes, but you must clear project with your H.O.A.
- 4. I am renting, can I apply for rebate?
- If you are renting or leasing, you must have the property owner apply for the rebate and be present for pre-conversion visit. Rebate checks are issued to the property owner only.
- 5. If I have an existing tree in my park strip, does it need to be removed?
- No, we do not promote the removal of trees from landscapes unless they are causing problems with concrete walks. Trees must be watered with the installed drip irrigation system following conversion.
- 6. I am installing landscape for my new home, can I apply?
- No, this program is only for existing landscapes with grass park strips.
- 7. Are multi-family residences eligible for this program?
- No, this program is intended for single-family residences only.
- 8. Can I remove my lawn and just replace it with bark, gravel or hardscape?
- No, this program requires plant and drip irrigation to be installed. This rule is in place to follow local city ordinances.
- 9. How long do I have to complete my project?
- You have 3 months after your application to complete your park strip project.