How do I file a complaint?

The best way to file a complaint is through the City’s website. Look on the home page of for the “Report a Concern” option. Clicking on this link will bring up a fillable form. Using the website is the fastest way to make sure all the different City staff who help with code enforcement can see the complaint and respond. It also helps us to track progress as a team, and keep you informed if you wish. A complaint can also be filed by calling the following:

  • Police department dispatch at 801-840-8400
  • Police department receptionist at 801-264-2673
  • Community & Economic Development at 801-270-2420

Show All Answers

1. What is code enforcement?
2. What do code enforcement officials do?
3. What types of violations can the City enforce?
4. Are there issues the City cannot enforce?
5. Can the City enforce homeowners' association (HOA) codes, covenants and restrictions (CC&R's)?
6. How do I file a complaint?
7. How long does it take for someone to respond to my complaint?
8. How long does it take to resolve a violation?
9. What are legal actions the City might take to resolve a violation?
10. Am I responsible for violations that existed prior to my purchase of the property?
11. Does the City patrol areas looking for violations?
12. When are code enforcement officers available?
13. What other agencies work with the City to resolve code enforcement complaints?