Murray City Election Information
Murray City Municipal Elections
The following information is for the 2021 Murray City Municipal Primary and General Elections.
Murray City will hold a municipal election in 2021 where the following seats will be up for election:
- Mayor (4-year term)
- Councilmember District 2 (4-year term)
- Councilmember District 4 (4-year term)
The Municipal General Election will be held on November 2, 2021, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. (UCA 20A-1-201)
- Early Voting for the 2021 Municipal General Election will be held at Murray City Hall located at 5025 South State Street on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, October 26, 2021 - 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 27, 2021 - 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 28, 2021 - 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 29, 2021 - 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 2, 2021 - 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
If you need to register to vote, you can easily do it online. Please visit the Online Voter Registration Website to find out more. You will need to have a current Utah Driver's License or Identification Card to register to vote using the online system.
You can check your voter registration status, the location of ballot drop boxes and vote centers, and view other election information at the Salt Lake County Clerk's Election Website.
Visit Vote Utah to view candidate profiles, find information about polling locations, register to vote, view sample ballots, and much more.
Rank Choice Voting vs. Traditional Voting
According to Utah State Law, municipal legislative bodies (councils and/or mayors) could opt to have their elections conducted this year using ranked-choice voting (RCV). RCV is a system in which voters rank candidates by their preference on the ballot. For additional information on RCV, please visit: www.got-vote.org and select Ranked Choice Voting Information from the spotlight options. While some municipalities chose RCV, Murray City opted to have their elections run with the traditional method of voting.
Vote By Mail
Murray City elections are “VOTE BY MAIL ONLY.” However, if you would like to vote on a voting machine, they will be available at Murray City Hall from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on election day. Bring your ballot, along with your valid Identification, to City Hall and the judges will assist you. For more information on “VOTE BY MAIL” please visit: http://clerk.slco.org
Active registered voters will receive a ballot in the mail about three weeks before the election. A postage-paid envelope is provided for your convenience; however, to save taxpayer dollars, Salt Lake County has provided many convenient drop box locations.
In conjunction with vote-by-mail, Early Voting and Election Day Vote Centers will be available for those who need to vote in person:
- Individuals who did not receive a ballot for various reasons including those who moved and did not update their address.
- Individuals utilizing same-day voter registration. The law allows for voter registration at Early Voting Locations and Election Day Vote Centers. Identification AND proof of residency are required to register and vote on the same day.
- Individuals who need the amenities of the electronic voting machines, which offer an audio ballot and enlarged text.
Voters may vote at any one of the locations, regardless of where they reside in the County.
A ballot returned by mail must be postmarked no later than November 1st, the day before Election Day! After this day, you can drop off your voted ballot at a designated location on Election Day.
Qualifications for Candidacy
- Be a United States citizen at the time of filing.
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of the next municipal election.
- Be a registered voter.
- Be a resident of the municipality for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the election.
- If elected from a council district, the person must be a resident of that council district.
In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, any mentally incompetent person, any person convicted of a felony, or any person convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Section 2-1-101.3 or 20A-2-101.5 of the Utah Code.
Filing for Office
Qualified individuals seeking to become a candidate must file a Declaration of Candidacy in person with the City Recorder during the following dates and times:
Tuesday, June 1, 2021, through Monday, June 7, 2021, from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm.
A filing fee of $95 must be paid at the time of filing the Declaration of Candidacy.
For further information, you may contact Brooke Smith, City Recorder at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-264-2662.
UOCAVA Election Notice
The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) Notice:
- 2021 Municipal General Election November 2, 2021
- Mayor – (4-year term)
- Council Member - District 2 – (4-year term)
- Council Member - District 4 – (4-year term)
FEDERAL WRITE-IN ABSENTEE BALLOT (FWAB) – For Form and Instruction, please see: https://www.fvap.gov/uploads/FVAP/Forms/fwab2013.pdf or https://www.fvap.gov/utah
For more information about the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP), please contact Salt Lake County Elections at https://www.fvap.gov/utah or 385-468-7400.
NOTICE OF THE MUNICIPAL OFFICES IN MURRAY CITY, UTAH, TO BE VOTED ON IN THE MUNICIPAL GENERAL ELECTION AND THE DATES FOR FILING A DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY FOR THE OFFICES.
Pursuant to Section 10-3-301 of the Utah Code, notice is hereby given that the Municipal Offices in Murray City, Utah to be voted on in the 2021 Municipal General Election are:
- Murray City Mayor
- Murray City Council Member representing Council District 2
- Murray City Council Member representing Council District 4
Pursuant to Section 20A-9-203 of the Utah Code, dates for filing a Declaration of Candidacy for the offices of Murray City Mayor, Murray City Council Member representing Council District 2, and Murray City Council Member representing Council District 4 must be filed with the Murray City Recorder, 5025 South State # 113, Murray, Utah during normal office hours between June 1 and June 7, 2021.
Dated this 22nd day of April 2021.
MURRAY CITY CORPORATION, Brooke Smith, City Recorder
DATES OF PUBLICATION: April 25, 2021
Be sure to check this page for any updates.