How to File

A Small Claims case must be filed in the court where the defendant resides or where the claim arose (where the events happened). Before filling out paperwork, you will first need to verify that this court has jurisdiction. Click here for the Jurisdictional MapAfter verifying jurisdiction, you need to decide who you are suing and properly fill out the defendant(s) name. The court cannot assist you in deciding which name(s) to fill in.  

This court uses Online Dispute Resolution (ODR), for more information on ODR please visit Utah Courts / ODR. Once you have determined that the Murray Justice Court has jurisdiction over your case, you will need to complete and file an ODR Affidavit and Summons (PDF) with the court. 

The party filing the claim is the plaintiff. The party responding to the claim is the defendant.