Expungement Information & Instructions
you may file a Memorandum Demonstration Inability to Pay Fees within 10 days of the judges’ decision1. You must first obtain a certificate of eligibility from the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) before filing a petition to expunge records. BCI is located at 3888 West 5400 South, Taylorsville, UT 84118. For your convenience, you may download the BCI Expungement Application Form on this link.
2. Once you have received the certificate of eligibility from BCI, you will need to fill out a Petition to Expunge Records, Order on Petition, Acceptance of Service and Consent and Waiver of Hearing. (Forms may be found at the bottom of this page).
- All forms must be present and filled out completely at time of filing. Only sign the Petition. The Acceptance of Service form as well as the Consent and Waiver of Hearing are for the prosecutor to sign and the Order is for the Judge to sign.
- The fee for ANY expungement petition is $135, plus an additional fee for each certified copy needed. There is a $2 fee for court provided expungement forms.
3. You may file a Motion and Order to Waive Expungement Fees. In order to do this you will need to fill out and present a Motion to Waive Fees and Statement Supporting Motion, and Order on Motion to Waive Fees to the court with your Expungements packet and Certificate of Eligibility that is filled out. The judge will review your motion and if granted, all or some fees will be waived. If denied, you will have 30 days from the date of the judges decision to pay the expungement fees or you may file a Memorandum Demonstration Inability to Pay Fees within 10 days of the judges’ decision.
All fee waiver forms are included under the forms or for any additional information on fee waivers you may go to: Utah Courts - Waivers
4. Once the court has received a response from the Prosecutor, the Judicial Assistant will submit your completed expungement packet to the Judge for his review. Once the order of expungement has been signed by the Judge, you will be notified by phone indicating that your documents are ready for pick-up. It is your responsibility to pick up the certified copies and distribute them to all the agencies involved.
** Please note: The Court will no longer be able to access any information pertaining to the case once the Court has expunged the record. Therefore, please make sure you request enough copies. **
Expungement Free Legal Clinic, located at LDS Employment Center – 780 West 800 South, SLC on 1st Thursday of every month from 5:00 pm- 6:00 pm.
Please select the packet that best pertains to your case: